Friday, December 10, 2010

portabella pasta with halibut.

When my boyfriend and I started dating, I had NO idea how to cook. I knew this was going to be a problem because he grew up with a mother who was a gourmet chef. Everything she made and makes is SO good, that I don't even talk while I'm eating at their house. I have to admit, it's not even to be polite...the food is just THAT good, I'm usually just stuffing my face.

Over the past year and a half or so, I have taught myself (through trial and error) how to cook. Jon's mom, Cindy, was nice enough to print off a cookbook filled with her recipes to test out. I have made things here and there out of the cookbook, and this recipe was really easy and would be a great weeknight dinner.


Recipe as follows:

Saute: 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed
in 2 tablespoons of olive oil

Add: 1/4 cup of a quality balsamic vinegar & 1/4 cup of a white wine of your choice
(cook slowly until rich and tender)

Add: 2-3 portabella mushrooms, sliced thin and continue cooking, adding some of the broth from the pasta as needed, to keep rich and syrupy.

In a deep glass or microwave-proof bowl...combine:
2 tablespoons of flour
1 1/2 cups of fat-free cream
1/2 cup of fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese.
Mix ingredients together and cook 5 minutes in microwave, stirring occasionally.

Heat the grill and grill halibut while brushing with olive oil and white wine until tender.

Meanwhile: be preparing
16 oz. of cavatappi or fusilla pasta, cooked in chicken broth

Drain the pasta only slightly and pour into a serving bowl. Pour the prepared cream sauce and mushroom/onion mixture over the pasta immediately. 
Toss together with 1 cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. 

Lay the grilled halibut over the pasta and enjoy!

This dinner pairs well with a great salad and warm bread dipped in olive oil/balsamic vinegar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment